OBDII OBD2 Android Tablet Demo - Bluetooth Interface

Simple video of an Android based tablet interfacing with an OBDII car computer. The software costs $6, the bluetooth device costs $30 from Amazon. The description of device on Amazon website is: “ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner Can ELM 327 Scantool Check Engine Light Car Code Reader”

1. Harry Bolsak
    Harry Bolsak says:

By having the OBD2 bluetoothed to your phone, do you lose the cars phone bluetooth or do they both function together, i like answering the phone on the steering wheel thats all – cheers BC

2. Nobody YouKnow
    Nobody YouKnow says:

on Tab, go to settings, toggle wi-fi off, toggle blue tooth on. press blue tooth, and it shows devices, click SCAN  and it will find the device, Pair with the device,  then click Paired Devices Only !  after that, you can turn wi-fi back on.. both will now work at the same time.. if needed.

3. CallMeHzl
    CallMeHzl says:

@B crinshaw – First, thank you for both making this video and for taking the time to upload it. Recently, my "Check Engine" light came on. I had to go in to see what was causing it and get the light cleared. I assumed that the little gadget (the OBDII) the guy used to check it was expensive or that just mechanics had them and never gave it a second thought. Then last night I saw a promotion on Groupon for an OBD-II. That got my wheels a-turnin' and decided to see if I could find one cheaper somewhere else. I also wanted to see if it was possible/easy enough for me to use. That search led me here. 🙂 I'm now going to purchase one, so again, thank you.

Second, since this is the first time visiting your channel, I haven't seen any of your other videos. I don't know if they're recorded like this one or not. The quality of the video is good, but I have one problem. Since the camera was mounted, I believe, on your hat, some of the movements are very quick. I get motion sickness very easily and I had to look away several times. I don't know if anyone else had that problem, but I wanted to tell you so maybe if you make another video, you might be able to slow down some of the movements. 🙂

4. subratri
    subratri says:

is it transfering to the tablet all existing on CAN bus frames? Or it can read only this what i have on dash board? 🙂 Im interesting of finding out some frames witch are not connected to the engine at all. Is it possible to look for a frame witch this unit?

5. B crinshaw
    B crinshaw says:

Below, I have pasted the sub title from my video. Some devices (phones) may not display this. [Simple video of an Android based tablet interfacing with an OBDII car computer. The software costs $6, the bluetooth device costs $30 from Amazon. The description of device on Amazon website is: "ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner Can ELM 327 Scantool Check Engine Light Car Code Reader"]

6. sgyetvai
    sgyetvai says:

Please! If you you are going to make a YouTube (YT) movie of any type, please do these three things: 1. Understand your subject matter. 2. View similar YT movies and "try" to emulate the good ones. 3. Make a practice vid, watch, and refine and perhaps have friend view before you post. Technology is great and has tons of utility, but it also lends itself to the mediocre and worse in this sort of virtual venue. Good luck!

7. Griwa2007
    Griwa2007 says:

10 minute video and all he talks about is the throttle position. GREAT! What about monitor state, does it do transmission codes, abs, srs? Can it build graphs or give freezeframe data only?

8. T Smith
    T Smith says:

All that video & talk time but the software abilities don't get a basic explanation: which cars does it work with? Can it reset or modify adaptions, SRS fault codes, and so on or is it mainly to see your honda throttle is about at 9.4%? Which BT adapter did you use exactly and is it reakky reliable? etc

9. obd2express
    obd2express says:

I bought one of those cables for my father-in-law so he could read ODBII codes. It claimed TIS support, but for $35 I was sure this would be read only.
    It arrived earlier this week. I just opened the box today. It came with TIS software and drivers. I installed it and it *works* exactly the same as my much more expensive mongoose. It has a full version of TIS, no license required. I reprogrammed a couple of options – works great.

10. g0fvt
    g0fvt says:

Not sure what you believe I did not understand, since commenting I have got my cheapo bluetooth adaptor, works fine with Torque app on my Nexus 7.

11. Josh River
    Josh River says:

obviously you didnt watch the entire video and/or pay attention. I will assume its just a lack of understanding, so i will educate you. although it can be used for performance. This is a very useful tool for all of your car parameters and technical info. diagnosing and reseting "check engine" and "service soon" indicators. It completely blows away and scan tool you can buy for 100x as much. The software is "torque". i use it with my smart phone. dont under estimate it.