Connecting a Garmin Forerunner to an Android Tablet: it works!

Update: the app is now on google play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.carlopescio.sportablet.
Supports the Forerunner 201, 301, 205, 305, 10, 110, 210, 405, 405CX, 410, 60, 70, 310xt, 610, 910xt; Edge 205, 305, 500, 705 and 800. eTrex 30, eTrex Legend HCx, ForeTrex 401. Fenix.
Oregon 550t, GpsMap csx 60, Astro 200 and Montana.

An early demo of Sportablet, an Android app I wrote to connect my Garmin Forerunner directly to my tablet. Check out the app website at http://www.sportablet.com

See also the Uploader for Garmin (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.carlopescio.uploader) if you want to use a smartphone or a small tablet.

1. Gerhardt Hartlieb
    Gerhardt Hartlieb says:

Hi Carlo!

I purchased today my first sportwatch ever, its a forerunner 410 and came without the usb stick. I own a galaxy tablet with built in ant+. do i really need the stick, or there is an other solution? Not because i can`t afford a 30 euro usb stick, it`s because i don`t want to wait another 2 weeks to start training with the hrm.
    tjanks!

2. Conor Flannery
    Conor Flannery says:

This has worked perfectly for ages but suddenly it now says "path not found, scanning" when it fails to find the activities on my watch. Why is this, do you know, please help loving the app so far!
    Thanks,
    Conor

3. Carlo Pescio
    Carlo Pescio says:

right, all those poor people without money, but with a Garmin, a tablet, a smartphone, and what else : )

reality: people don't want to pay for software. I spend twice the cost of the app for a pair of running socks.

4. Carlo Pescio
    Carlo Pescio says:

Samsung tablets are not really usb-friendly, so it depends on the garmin model. ANT+ models like the 310/910/etc will usually work. Older models like a 305 may or may not work, depending on the exact ROM version.

More details on the sportablet website; can't put links here in comments 🙁 so you'll have to click around. The Answer page and the "Uploader for Garmin" pages list known working combinations, often with exact ROM versions.

The app is free to try, anyway 🙂

5. Chris Wallace
    Chris Wallace says:

Hi, I'm using a Motorola XOOM with Android 4.1.2 and connecting a Garmin Forerunner 110 I get the error:

Path not found, scanning
    Mounting path not found
    error reading device file
    file transfer aborted

6. Carlo Pescio
    Carlo Pescio says:

To recap: At this stage, unfortunately, the Galaxy is unsupported for the 205/305 family. Should work fine with the Edge 500, 705, 800 and the Forerunner 110 and 210, which use a different protocol.

7. Carlo Pescio
    Carlo Pescio says:

yes, this is a known problem with the Samsung Galaxy (also reported in the "answers" page in the sportablet website). Unfortunately, Samsung added a whitelist so that only some USB device classes are accepted by the Galaxy (flash drives and a few more). Most USB devices, including the forerunner, are filtered away and cannot be handled by apps. I've heard about some kernel mods to remove the whitelist, but I cannot say they work.

8. puetca
    puetca says:

Tablet model: Samsung Galaxy 10.1 N (GT-P7501)
    Android version: 3.2
    Garmin: Forerunner 305

Email log:
    app version: 1.7
    device not found
    T Manager is: android.hardware.usb.UsbManager@4084e4e8
    T Devices are: {/dev/bus/usb/001/002=UsbDevice[mName=/dev/bus/
    usb/001/002,mVendorId=5401,mProductId=32,mClass=2,mSubclass=0,mProtocol=0,mInterfaces=[Landroid.os.
    Parcelable;@40850868]}
    T device name: /dev/bus/usb/001/002

Thank you for your help!

9. Carlo Pescio
    Carlo Pescio says:

USB access under Android is still tricky, but there are specific steps we can take to understand the problem. At the very least, I need to know your tablet model, android version, and garmin model. Then I would suggest that you start sportablet, go under "my options", turn "enable device diagnostics on", connect your watch, and try to upload. There will be a red "email log" button in the log window. Send me the log (plus the information above), and I'll see what I can do.